For the pleasure of your ears =)

Friday, June 12, 2015

Work life ramblings

It has been more than a year since my last post. Well, I am quite free now at work so I thought I'd like to do something other than facebooking or tweeting. So here I am attempting another vain attempt to revive this blog.

Just to update viewers a bit on my current condition before I go into the topic. I'm currently in my academic year-end holiday as I had just finished my first year of tertiary education in NTU. I have the option to remain in Singapore and work there to earn more money(obviously, it's RM2.79 now for 1SGD T.T), but I choose to come back Bolehland to spend more time with my family(my mum to be specific).

I was back in Bolehland on the second week of May and began my job search after resting and enjoying for a couple of days. The job search part has been a bit frustrating because I wanted to begin working as soon as possible but couldn't find the kind of job that I want. I did went to two marketing job tryout which happen to be under the same major company. Feeling kinda stupid here because I wasted two days doing the tryout which I found(and confirmed) that I had no interest whatsoever in persuading people to purchase stuffs. I was going to give up on searching for office job and just went for waiter/promoter type of job when the interview offer from my current employer came knocking on my doorstep.

The job interview process began with filling up a form of my particulars and doing a personality test. The personality test is one where you mark one characteristic each that describe you the most and least. It turned out that I am very consistent in terms of my characters, my traits in dealing with people and preferred work environment, which I found slightly surprising because I thought I am just beginning to understand more about myself. Anyway, a woman, called Michelle (which turns out to be the boss's spouse), interviewed me. To her surprise, she realised that I am only available for work in less than two months, which I did put in my application on JobStreet. The interview process was quite smooth-going as I was able to talk and explain about myself the way I see myself. I think she was kind of impressed that I have a clear and definite purpose in wanting the job as I wish to build my resume and improve working experience towards my future career(macam yes). The conversation even grew to a stage where she talked about win-win situation in which she offers to improve my shortcomings in areas contained in the personality test. She even offered me the chance to be introduced  to people working in Petronas should I wish to do chemical engineering internship in the future. In the end, I was still offered the job. (YAY!)

After days of consideration, I turned down a telemarketer job(you see I don't like to persuade people) and accepted my current job. Here's a little profile of my current job: I am currently working as a Assistant Executive(the job title in the job advertisement. technically it's just admin I think) in T3 Rate Solutions & Co. Sdn Bhd, an AIA insurance agency. The first two days of work was pretty unproductive as no one was free(or physically present) in the company to properly teach and guide me on my job tasks. So I ended up filling up some insurance forms and checking the database for the company's insurance agents.

On the third day of work, I met my boss, Mr William Tan as the insurance agents gathered in the meeting room to discuss and update each other about their works. Later on, he brought me to the AIA headquarter in Jalan Ampang to have a look as one of my job scope is to serve as an intermediary between the headquarter and the agency. He drove a Mercedes by the way. Gave me a task to handle with the claim department. Obviously din do well as this was the first time. The staff in the claim department did answer my initial question but that wasn't what my boss wanted. Asked a second time and got a lecture from one senior staff about not appropriate to solve problems directly in the claim department and should go through customer service. =.="

As days went on, I started to have a clear idea and get comfortable of my job tasks in the company. Most of the times the agents whatapps me wanting certain information and I will be the one searching for the info in the database or call the customer service to enquire. I also help Michelle to fill up insurance forms for the clients whenever she pass me the instruction and/or documents required. Besides, as I mentioned previously, I serve as an intermediary between the headquarter and agency in which I go to the headquarter to enquire directly and submit/collect documents. Other than that, I also have to fill in the recording book whenever the new policy documents arrive. In short, it's just general administrative and operational duties.

One thing I would also like to talk about is that I had attended two meetings so far. The meeting basically contains two sections. In the first section, the agents discuss and update each other about their work. In the second section, they have a sharing session in which they discuss topics contained in books written by successful insurance agent. One highlight for me is that during the second meeting, in which they shared about ideas on money and finance, Michelle asked a question: "What's the most expensive expenditure by people that can be paid using credit card?" I was able to come out with the answer first: healthcare and she praised me(She said even I also know) for that. (p.s. sorry for the self-praising here but afterall, I am still a student. lols)

To conclude this post(surprisingly I was able to finish this post during the free time at work), I have just been in the company for two weeks(started work on 1st of June). Hopefully there will be more new posts in the near future(at least during this holiday). Signing off here. BYE! =D

No comments: