For the pleasure of your ears =)

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Dedication, perseverance and hard work


Everyone has a favourite personality in which they idolise. Personally, Michael Jordan is my idol in which I grew up admiring. To others, Michael Jordan may just be another famous basketball player, but to me, he is a role model who has an inspiring influence on me. His basketball career taught me three values which are imperative to succeed in whatever field I endeavor: dedication, perseverance and hard work.

To achieve excellence, Michael Jordan dedicated himself to his basketball career. His dedication conjures up the passion and drive in me to strive for academic excellence ever since I stepped into secondary school because I was no longer content with just being another face in the crowd. From Michael Jordan’s career, I learn that the ability to constantly produce excellent results lies in one’s dedication. For all the efforts and sacrifices that I made in chasing that excellence, it will not be possible without dedication and willingness to put in the effort consistently.

His perseverance despite early setbacks during his basketball career encourages me to keep on fighting in spite of overwhelming obstacles. Through perseverance, I learn how to use past failures as a source of motivation to succeed. For example, when I fail to achieve the target I set for myself, perseverance gives me the strength to endure the disappointment from failure and to keep working towards overcoming the challenges that I feel are beyond my reach. With each formidable task accomplished, I am able to improve my self belief to confront unforeseen challenges on the path to excellence.

Throughout his basketball career, Michael Jordan continued to improve through sheer determination and hard work. His work ethic motivates me to dig deep and work hard in order to succeed. As nobody is perfect, I look to improve my weaknesses so that it does not limit my challenge to excel. I do so by setting reasonable and manageable goals that I could realistically achieve if I work hard enough. The willingness to go the extra mile allows me to not only overcome my limitations, but also turn it into my strengths.


While it may be true that we are the sum of all our experiences, Michael Jordan is still the person I look up to when I want to motivate myself. Being an icon in the game of basketball, Michael Jordan inspires me to acquire the same status in the field I endeavor one day. As I aspire to make a name for myself in the field I pursue, I will always remember Michael Jordan for providing me the source of inspiration and helping to instill in me the right attitude to be successful in life.

No comments: