For the pleasure of your ears =)

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Work life ramblings III

16 July 2015 marked the last day of work for my second job. It was by luck I was able to extend my working period to 16 July when I was supposed to be replaced by a new incoming staff on 3rd July. However, she found the job too tedious and doesn't quite match her own expectation. And so I was to extend my stay in the company for another 2 weeks.

I went to work on that day feeling considerably light-hearted as it's my last day of work before going back to Singapore. Just when I thought I was going to have a rather smooth-going day, I was proven wrong when I received a call from my boss asking why today is my last day at work. I was surprised at first he asked this question because I thought it is by mutual understanding I will work until the time I'm going back to Singapore. The irritating part was that he insisted I told him I will work until 23 July when the actual fact is that I said I have to be back in Singapore latest by 23rd July because I have senior camp for FOC on 24 July. I also remember clearly that I had only promised to work for another 2 weeks when he asked me to extend my stay in the job since the new incoming staff decided not to take over my role. Really pissed me off because he expected me to work extra couple of days when I need to go back Singapore to resume my study.

I'm not putting the blame solely on my boss because there is a communication breakdown between us since I did not state clearly the exact date I will stop working. What really got me fired up is that when I asked him for the salary of my extended working period, he refused to give me immediately and said by office procedure, the salary will be only given at the beginning of next month. Of course it seems right from his point of view that the salary should only be released at the beginning of next month but I'm going back to Singapore on 21st July and it will be easy for both of us for him to just write a cheque to me. And also speaking of office procedure, the boss did not give me an appointment letter as well when I started working. I turned a blind eye when he did not give me appointment letter but he was quick to have a fuss when I did not follow office procedure whether in taking leave without informing(I did! ==) or din inform properly my last day of work.

He brought up the point that I did not inform him properly when I will be leaving and causing him trouble now that there is no staff in place to take over my role. I thought he was taking me for granted. During the interview with the female boss(the boss's spouse), we had agreed that I will be working until I go back Singapore to resume my study(that is around 20+ July). I did not raise an objection at all when they told me my working period was until 3rd July since there was a new staff to replace me. Even more ridiculous is that he mentioned I should have hand over my tasks and roles properly to the new staff but now I'm leaving earlier than he expected. FUCK YOU LA! You had interviewed so many people during my working period and it's not my fault that you did not manage to hire a staff to replace me before I leave. o0o

Another thing that pissed me off is the EPF for the month of June. Initially I thought the employer will settle for me but then my boss said I should settle it myself. Understandably if he wanted me to bank in the cheque for the EPF myself, he should have at least give me the cheque first before I can proceed with it. Even more ridiculous is that his company's EPF account has already been cancelled due to long period of inactivation and he did not even tell me when I went to bank in the EPF myself. So I did stupid thing rushing to settle my EPF without success. In other words, I think he was fooling me around. ==

The incredible thing that I found out from office gossiping is that it's not only me that is holding grudges against the employer for their lack of professionalism. One of my colleague that was previously working full-time but not anymore since the beginning of July also shared her side of stories dealing with the employers regarding her work and salary. What I found out is that the employers had delayed giving her salary for two weeks and also deducted her salary after they found out she went home earlier from work. The female boss continued to pass instructions and tasks for her to work but when she asked the female boss how is the company going to pay her for that(since she no longer work full-time), the female boss kept quiet.

Enough of abusing my employers, I have to say it's great meeting new people in my work(excluding my employers). Two of my working colleagues even belanja me for lunch and movie on my last day of work as some sort of farewell for me. Though it did not end nicely, this job certainly gave me a valuable working experience(good and bad) and prepared me better for the cruel reality in the working world.

That's all for the latest installment of work life ramblings and it will be quite some time before I ramble about work again. Signing off now and Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!



No comments: