For the pleasure of your ears =)

Friday, July 3, 2015

Five Ways to Maximize Your Internship - Dan Schwartz

Came across this post on Linkedin and decided to post here as a note to self. Here's the full article:

If you are a college student or recent graduate and have been fortunate enough to land an internship this summer: Congratulations! Internships are becoming more prevalent in today’s economy. But with more and more internships becoming available, the competition is increasing and the likelihood of receiving an offer at the end of an internship may require you to step up your game and take your work to a new level.
I personally completed four professional internships and got the opportunity to expose myself to a wide variety of corporate experiences before settling in on a career in talent development. Although none of my experiences led to a full-time job offer, I still value each one of them for their own reasons and attribute them to my ultimate success in launching a solid foundation to my career.
During those summers, I recognized that the responsibility was on me to make the most of my summer and to create value for the organization. I came into each experience with a goal and a strategy so that, regardless of how well the internship was designed, I would be able to come away with something that would propel me into the future and fuel my search for my first post-graduate job.
But I know that my strategies and tactics were not limited to my personal success. I had many peers at K-State and other universities that have gone on to do big things in the working world and make an immediate impact in their organizations due to a few simple tactics that they employed both in their internships and post-graduate roles.
Below are five things I did during my internships to make the most of my experiences. Implement these strategies and you are sure to increase your chances of having a great experience: 

Take Projects Seriously

I had internships with other college students who failed to take their project work seriously and painfully watched their experiences suffer as a result. Not only did they waste company resources but they missed out on opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Complete your projects as if your job depended upon it and strive to make a difference in the bottom line of the organization. If you are given a simple project to complete, take it a step further than your supervisor expected and not only will you make a lasting impression, but you will also be invited to higher-stakes meetings and future projects.

View Your Role as a Permanent Employee

I have heard many interns say that their work doesn’t matter and think that the company will just throw away their work once they walk out the door. I recently reached out to one of my intern organizations to ask them if they still had a presentation I gave and they did! I was able to use the information that I presented on for a project I was currently working on as a full-time employee. Although your physical presence may leave after a few months, your work will never die. The work you do over the course of a summer has the same impact as permanent employees so treat your job as such. Feel free to speak up at meetings, ask questions and get involved just as you would if you were there permanently.

Ask for (and Graciously Receive) Feedback

Many internship programs do not offer formal performance evaluations. Rather they assign you to give a presentation at the end of the summer based on your learnings. Take the initiative to ask for feedback on your work and your big projects. This shows that you care enough about the work to care how you did and how you might be able to improve in the future. When given feedback, graciously receive it and be sure to say “Thank You” to the person who gave it to you. Make sure they know how much you appreciate their input.

Find a Mentor

Whether it be your supervisor or another key employee at the company, seek out an individual who is willing to lead you and guide you throughout your internship. Lean on this person to provide guidance when you are struggling with a concept or project and leverage their expertise as much as possible. Your mentor will also be the person who you might continue to connect with after the internship is over as a key contact. If you are fortunate enough to be in an internship where there is a formal mentoring program available, be sure to take full advantage of it!

Set Up Networking Meetings

Using your mentor and/or supervisor as a resource, communicate your passions and interests and ask them to connect you with people who can tell you more about their job role and a particular part of the organization. In addition, use networking meetings to find out more about what it takes to be successful in a certain industry. Ask them what their background was and what got them to where they are today. Finding out this information will help you build your network and gain industry knowledge, which will go a long way in the interview room.

No comments: