For the pleasure of your ears =)

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Work life ramblings IV

Hi everybody!


A week ago I've mentioned that I have accepted the offer to work as a temporary clerk in Tokio Marine Insurans Malaysia Berhad. For your information, I work in the People, Strategy and Services department aka HR department and my office was located in Menara Dion at Jalan Sultan Ismail, nearby Raja Chulan monorial station. So, if you're feeling like it, you're more than welcome to come and find me for lunch. xD

This week was my first week of work. First day my dad fetched me to the office and I was 5 mins late in reporting on my first day. Anyway, a lady called Gwyneth guided me and my colleague partner, Zurin for the boarding program. After signing the offer letter, she bought us around the building to different departments and introducing us to people. Then, we were back in our office department and my superior, Floria, briefed Zurin and I on our job. After that, we were led to our tables and she passed us a box (big one, mind you) of papers each, which contains the materials that we need for our work.

Basically the work I do is data entry work. I have to match the data in the internal system with the tax invoice or receipts for all the expenses claims by the marketing agents and key in the details like (tax invoice no, GST amount, and etc) into Excel. It's a relatively easy job except when I came across accommodation and parking expenses, where it can sometimes be hard to identify the amount in the internal system came from which invoices. Most of the time it's just dull and tedious. Imagine trying to break down the lump sum parking expenses according to the individual receipts and key in the details one receipt by one receipt. O.O

I was given two weeks to complete the task and I completed a little less than 50% of it. Somehow I was surprised that I managed only less than half because I thought I was over 50% done but when I stack up the incomplete one, it's higher than the completed one. Haha looks like I might need to do OT next week to speed up the work which I did not do so in the first week.

Work aside, I had two lunch sessions with three of my elder colleagues who are just a little older than me by the looks of them. All three of them are females (two Chinese and one Indian) and it reminds me of Ming Yang, Kar Leong and Kanesh when I sat with them for lunch. xD  I also met one very friendly Malay woman who talked to me about Singapore. Hopefully I will get to know more people in the coming weeks of work.

Besides, I feel incredulous that so many websites were denied access on the computer I used. Initially I feel okay that they block social media, news & media and sports but I was rather taken aback when I found out they also block Google and general email (like Hotmail). Goodness me, that is strict and very work-focused. The benefit on denying these accesses is that I was really able to focus on my work and the progress is good. It gets me into thinking whether I should apply this method on my studies as well. The reality is data entry work is easy and dull and I don't get bored easily by it but studies are hard and I would often get frustrated by it. Ahhhhh, procrastination is a virtue. =.=

This first week of work really open my eyes to working in a corporate world. I am beginning to be able to relate better to the things people say/tweet/complain about corporate working. All along I have been eager to gain experience on working in a corporate world. I'm not sure whether what I feel about corporate working will change at the end of my working period. It's only the first week of work and I haven't manage to experience a significant working experience (the politics, the people and etc) in a corporate world yet. Although it's not much you can learn from data entry work and the work is rather dull, I guess I'm still content and satisfied that I managed to find office work (again) for this holidays.

Well, I guess that's all for this entry of work life ramblings. Hopefully, I will be back again with more ramblings about this work in future posts.

Signing off,
Tiong Chin


No comments: